Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Audiobook Review: Dyeing Wishes by Molly MacRae

Kath Rutledge is settling into life in Blue Plum, operating the yarn shop her grandmother left her, and dealing with a ghost-in-residence in the way of Geneva. On a visit to Cloud Hollow Farm, Kath and her friends expect to learn more about dyeing yarn but instead they discover what looks like a murder suicide. The victim is Bonnie's daughter and a man who ran off years ago. Bonnie is devastated and looks to Kath to try to uncover the truth.

Being a lifelong knitter and crocheter I really enjoyed Molly Macrae's first novel, Last Wool and Testament. It called out to love of all different types of yarns and crafts. For the second novel in this series, I chose to listen on audiobook and see if my love of this series carried over on audio. I'm glad to report it did.

The second book is even better than the first. The reason why? Well apart from a great mystery that fills the reader into a bit of history of the town, with Will Embry having run off years ago accused of a crime, it also lets us into more of the close friendship amongst the TGIF (Thank Goodness It's Fiber) group. But the main reason is the funny, flighty ghost-in-residence, Geneva. I absolutely adore Geneva and her growing friendship with Kath.

In Dyeing Wishes we do get a few more details as to Geneva's past, but not enough that Kath is able to figure out why Geneva is hanging around. For my own selfish reasons I hope Geneva stays around for a long time because I find her absolutely delightful. I never know what she's going to say next and she's a hoot a minute!

Emily Durante is fast becoming one of my favorite cozy mystery narrators. I loved the voices she used for the characters of Blue Plum, especially the Spivey twins - she got those just perfect. She has a great pacing and it felt like I was right there alongside Kath trying to solve the mystery.

Dyeing Wishes was a great read and I can't wait for the third book in this series to be released next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment