Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Book Review: Curtain by Agatha Christie

The house guests at Styles seemed perfectly pleasant to Captain Hastings; there was his own daughter Judith, an inoffensive ornithologist called Norton, dashing Mr Allerton, brittle Miss Cole, Doctor Franklin and his fragile wife Barbara , Nurse Craven, Colonel Luttrell and his charming wife, Daisy, and the charismatic Boyd-Carrington. So Hastings was shocked to learn from Hercule Poirot's declaration that one of them was a five-times murderer. True, the ageing detective was crippled with arthritis, but had his deductive instincts finally deserted him?

The novel features Hercule Poirot and Arthur Hastings in their final appearances in Christie's works. It is a country house novel, with all the characters and the murder set in one house. Not only does the novel return the characters to the setting of her first, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, but it reunites Poirot and Hastings, who last appeared together in Dumb Witness in 1937.[summary via Goodreads]

Since I discovered Agatha Christie's mystery novels as a teenager, I've been enthralled with her novels for decades. Regardless of the setting or the sleuth, she never fails to impress me with her ability to construct a delightful mystery, that has always left me guessing. While I've not quite read every mystery yet (but I'm working on it!), I have enjoyed re-reading some of my favourites. I've read Curtain several times, and decided to take in a re-read recently.

For those that have never picked up a Agatha Christie novel (and I think you should!), Curtain isn't a good place to start. This is a brilliant, well crafted mystery, but it pairs up with The Mysterious Affair at Styles, and while it is not required reading, I believe reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles first would be well worth it. It sets the scene of Styles and the relationship between sleuth, Sir Hercule Poirot, and his faithful assistant, Captain Arthur Hastings. 

Curtain is one of the very best mystery novels I've ever read (and I've read a lot of them!). Agatha Christie outdid herself with this one, providing a very interesting ending for Poirot. Of my initial read, I would never have predicted the outcome. On re-reads of the novel, I am more in awe of her talent and how she provided a perfect ending for Poirot. 

The mystery itself is very interesting, and I don't think even the most experienced mystery reader would guess on the first read. Even years later, on re-reading, I am still impressed. 

If you haven't read Curtain yet I strongly recommend picking it up. Even if you're like me and not a big Poirot fan (I'm more Team-Miss Marple!), you will be impressed by this mystery and the final denouement. Well recommended for Agatha Christie fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment