Monday, March 26, 2018

Book Review: Cat About Town by Cate Conte

The first novel in a frisky new mystery series set in a small New England town, where an unlikely citizen is called in to solve the purrfect crime. . . 

Maddie James has arrived in Daybreak Island, just off the coast of Massachusetts, eager to settle down and start her own business—and maybe even fall in love. When a stray orange tabby pounces into her life, she’s inspired to open a cat cafĂ©. But little does Maddie know that she’s in for something a lot more catastrophic when her new furry companion finds the dead body of the town bully. Now all eyes are on Maddie: Who is this crazy cat-whisperer lady who’s come to town? If pet-hair-maintenance and crime-fighting weren’t keeping her busy enough, Maddie now has not one but two eligible bachelors who think she’s the cat’s pajamas . . . and will do anything to win her heart. But how can she even think about happily-ever-after while a killer remains on the loose—and on her path? [summary via Amazon]

Cat Conte (also known as Liz Mugavero) previously wrote the Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, and I was thrilled to hear she had written a new series.

Cat About Town is a most delightful debut in a new series. From the very first flick of the tail of an adorable stray, who later becomes known as JJ, until the finale denouement, this is a story to delight even the pickiest of feline mystery lovers. 

Maddie James is in town for her grandmother's funeral, but when she meets a new feline friend (enter the ever adorable JJ), she takes the first steps into an adventure that will see them solve a murder together. I adored Maddie with her inner "crazy cat lady" persona. Of course JJ was delightful. He had me thinking that maybe I should put a harness on my cats and take them for a walk!!! (Of course my own cats had other ideas!).

I really liked the mystery. This one stumped me, and I didn't manage to solve it before Maddie and JJ. In the process of trying to solve the mystery, I fell in love with this little beach side town, with its interesting residents, and delightful shops.

All in all Cate Conte delighted me (and I'm sure other readers) with Cat About Town and I can't wait for another visit with Maddie and JJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment