Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Book Review: Definitely Dead by Charlaine Harris

Since Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse has so few living relatives, she hates to lose one—even her cousin Hadley, undead consort of the vampire queen of New Orleans. Hadley’s left everything she had to Sookie, but claiming that inheritance has a high risk factor. Some people don’t want her looking too deeply into Hadley’s past or Hadley’s possessions. And they’re prepared to do anything in their power to stop her...[summary via Amazon]

I'm currently re-reading the Southern Vampire mysteries. I started them some years, and lost track of where I was up to, so I'm re-reading the earlier books. This was a re-read for me.

The Southern Vampire Mysteries are very popular, especially as they were turned into the television series True Blood, and after reading several I can see why. They are addictive, easy reading, and so very enjoyable.

This time we see Sookie Stackhouse travelling to settle her late cousin's estate in New Orleans. Of course where supernatural creatures and Sookie Stackhouse travel, trouble follows them.

I like that this story takes place outside of Bon Temps. It's nice to mix it up and see another city, especially one I haven't visited but want to one day. 

We're thrown into the story of Sookie's cousin demise, which is told in the short story One Word Answer. Although it's not necessary to have read the short story, as the author fills in the history.

For me, Definitely Dead was another enjoyable read in the series. I like that the characters are constantly evolving, and I don't want to spoil too much, but this is a good thing - especially if you think Sookie should be with someone other than a vampire! If you like supernatural mysteries, with a strong romance component you will love this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment