Saturday, April 25, 2020

Book Review: Pulp Friction by Julie Ann Lindsey

Thanks to Winnie's new cider shop, Smythe Orchards is out of the red and folks can get their fix of the produce and other delectable products they love all year round. The locals are even booking the shop for events, including a June wedding! Winnie couldn’t be happier to see the barn filled to the rafters for the big bash—until her doting ex, Hank, is caught in a heated argument with the groom. Winnie plans to scold Hank after the party, but spots him running off instead. And when the groom turns up dead, apparently hit by the honeymoon getaway car, Hank is the main suspect. Now Hank is on the lam, and it’s up to Winnie to get to the core of the truth—before the real killer puts the squeeze on her . . .[summary via Amazon]

There is something delightful about apples. They are such a diverse fruit. They make the perfect pie, the perfect snack, and as I'm learning from Winnie Mae Montgomery ... the perfect cider too!

In the second Cider Shop Mystery, all is coming up roses for Winnie and her grandma, as Smythe Orchards and the Cider Shop are doing better than ever. They've planned their first wedding in the barn, and it looks to be a successful season. However, things start to go awry when the groom is killed the night of the wedding, outside the barn. With ex-boyfriend and now some-what friend, Hank, pinned for the crime, Winnie decides to investigate to clear his name.

I really liked the first book in this series, Apple Cider Slaying. There was something fresh and wonderful about it. It was the first series, that I've read, that centred around an apple orchard, and I instantly took a liking to all the characters in Blossom Valley. When the second book came up on my radar, I was super excited to dive in!

Smythe Orchard (and even Winnie Mae herself) is definitely a rag to riches story that I think readers will appreciate. After the death of her Grampy, Winnie is helping her Granny make Smythe Orchard a success again, with the help of the Cider shop, and it's heart warming to see their success pay off! One of the things I like about this story is that I really love the relationship between Granny and Winnie. Winnie's mom ran off when she was young, her Granny raised her, and their relationship is the sweetest thing!

Oh boy this mystery kept me on my toes!! Julie Anne Lindsey did a great job of deceiving me when it came to try to figure out the killer! It's been a while since I've been stumped completely, and I love that she managed to do that!!! For most of the book I was clueless to the killer's identify, and really just taking stabs in the dark!!! 

If you're looking for a new series to jump into I highly recommend the Cider Shop Mysteries. They are fresh, unique and a lot of fun. If you like animals in your mystery, then I suggest you run to the bookshop and buy them now... let me just leave you with... fainting goat!

No comments:

Post a Comment