Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Audiobook Review: After the Funeral by Agatha Christie

When Cora Lansquenet is savagely murdered with a hatchet, the extraordinary remark she made the previous day at her brother Richard's funeral suddenly takes on a chilling significance. At the reading of Richard's will, Cora was clearly heard to say, "It's been hushed up very nicely, hasn't it.... But he was murdered, wasn't he?"

In desperation, the family solicitor turns to Hercule Poirot to unravel the mystery....[summary via Audible]

After the Funeral is one of the few Hercule Poirot stories I've never read and I opted to listen the BBC Radio Play version, with John Moffat voicing Hercule Poirot.

After the Funeral is classic Christie in many regards: english setting and what seems to be a well-off family fighting over the inheritance of a recently deceased family member. However when Cora blurts out that her brother was murdered, everything starts to get complicated.

I enjoy every mystery I've read by Agatha Christie and this one is no exception. I couldn't figure out who killed Richard and subsequently Cora either. When the murderer is revealed I certainly was shocked. Yet again Hercule Poirot's reasoning was clear after he explained the denouement.

I'm loving listening to these books as the BBC radio plays. They are a condensed version but whether you are a new reader to Agatha Christie or a seasoned reader, looking to re-read your favorites, these are fabulous. While I still prefer David Suchet as the voice of Poirot, I'm really enjoying John Moffat in the role. He seems to have Poirot's mannerisms down perfectly and is a joy to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment