Thursday, April 16, 2015

Audiobook Review: The Regatta Mystery by Agatha Christie

Diamond merchant Isaac Pointz and his guests come ashore at Dartmouth to enjoy the fair after the yacht races. Over dinner, young Eve Leathern bets she can make Pointz's famous diamond, the Morning Star, disappear right at the table. When the girl does exactly that, she discovers she has made the priceless gem disappear more completely than she had intended. Fortunately, Parker Pyne is able to get to the bottom of what really happened to the Morning Star.[summary via Amazon]

The Regatta Mystery is a classic locked room mystery, where a disappearance takes place (this time a jewel) and the occupants in the room all claim to have not taken in. It takes the detective mind of Parker Pyne to solve the mystery.

I find it interesting that usually the detective is int he room at the time of the loss, but not in this case. Parker Pyne manages to solve the mystery without having actually been at the scene!!

This is another interesting short story from Agatha Christie. I'm finding that most of the Parker Pyne mysteries don't involve murder, but involve a disappearance. I haven't quite warmed to Parker Pyne yet, but mainly because I have read many mysteries with him.

I do find it interesting that there is a Parker Pyne version and Hercule Poirot version of The Regatta Mystery. I listened to the Pyne version, but I'm going to try and hunt down the Poirot version too!
A delightful locked room mystery, and I'm looking forward to reading more of the short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment