Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Book Review: Murder by the Bookend by Laura Gail Black

Murder by the Bookend is the second book in the Antique Bookshop Mysteries, and my very first visit to Hokes Folly.

Jenna Quinn is gearing up for her grand re-opening party. She's organized a fancy dress event at her bookshop, to celebrate the grand re-opening and everything has been planned perfectly. Or so she thought! On the night, all appears to be going smoothly until one of her guests is found dead near the shop. Who would want to kill Linus, the sweet man with an interest in antique books? Jenna, with the help of her police detective boyfriend, and Linus' dog, Eddy, put their nose to the crime and try to follow the clues, before the killer strikes again!

I jumped right in with this series. I hadn't read the first book in the series, but I wasn't lost at all. The author does a great job of recapping Jenna's life, without the reader feeling too bogged down in details. I immediately felt at home in Hokes Folly, and all the eclectic people that live there. 

The mystery is fast-paced and kept me on the edge of my seat, rapidly trying to read faster and faster, awaiting the final denouement. I thought I had the killer caught, in my mind, but the author threw in a couple of red herrings that had me guessing until the end!!! 

Murder by the Bookend was a fantastic read. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the gang at Twice Upon a Time bookstore, and I can't wait to visit Hokes Folly again!

No comments:

Post a Comment