Friday, January 7, 2022

Book Review: Death & Sensibility by Elizabeth Blake

DEATH & SENSIBILITY is the second book in the Jane Austen Society Mysteries. Bookshop owner, Erin Coleridge is visiting York with her friends, attending the Jane Austen Society Conference. Disaster strikes when the keynote speaker turns up dead, from an apparent heart attack. However, Erin puts her amateur sleuth nose to the case, and is convinced that the speaker was murdered. When other suspicious events happen to confirm this theory, Erin [along with her friends' help] must try to flush out the killer, before they strike again.

I picked up this book, without reading the first book in the series. In my mind, that is usually major mistake, as I like to follow the sub-plots as well as the main mystery. However, I was so keen to dive into the series that I jumped right in! Am I ever glad I did!

Right away, I felt at home with the characters, and liked them instantly. I love the friendship between Erin and Farnsworth, and their friendship with Hetty and Pru. Elizabeth Blake makes the reader feel right at home among them, almost to the point that you wish they were your friends!

While it is not mandatory, if you're a "austenophile" you will truly love this book! With a quote on every page, it's a delight to my Jane Austen-loving heart! Especially the comparisons of the Pride & Prejudice adaptions [truly my favourite Jane Austen book].

The mystery was very enticing, and the final denouement was quite thrilling. If you're looking to cozy up with a mystery about books, then this one is for you! A true delight from beginning to end, even Jane Austen would be proud!

A little side note: I love that there is a reason for Erin feeling compelled to get involved in murder mysteries, beyond the usual "nosiness". I feel like Erin has a lot of growing to do, and I definitely can't wait to join her on her adventure! Especially if it involves a handsome man or two, on the side!

No comments:

Post a Comment