Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Book Review: Proof of Murder by Lauren Elliott

The seaside New England town of Greyborne Harbor is home to many grand estates, including the Queen Anne Victorian Addie inherited from her great aunt. Now one of those mansions is holding an estate sale, which is just what the bookshop owner needs to replenish her supply of rare editions—even if the house is rumored to be haunted. Assisting an overwhelmed insurance appraiser with the inventory, Addie discovers an 1887 magazine containing Arthur Conan Doyle's first Sherlock Holmes novel, A Study in Scarlet, which she estimates to be worth over one hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
But when Addie later finds the appraiser dead in the estate's private library, with the door bolted from the inside, and the priceless edition missing, it's a mystery worthy of the Great Detective himself. She's certain the death and the robbery are connected—but who, other than a ghost who can walk through walls, could have gotten in to do the deed? It's up to Addie to find the key to the crime—before she's the next one cornered by a killer . . .[summary via Amazon]

Since the first book in this series, Murder by the Book, I've been absolutely smitten with the characters at Greyborne Harbor, and the mischief they find there! As with all my favourite series, I'm so happy to finally have a new adventure to read...

It's summer in Greyborne Harbor and Addie is looking forward to a book auction at a local mansion. However, things go awry when the insurance appraiser turns up dead. With a new officer in town, determined to pin the crime on Addie, she must go detecting once again and find the real killer.

Part of what makes this such a great series is that provides a real edge-of-your-seat suspense, while still fitting the cozy genre. In Proof of Murder I felt like Addie (and me, as the reader) was racing against the clock trying to solve the mystery. The mystery itself kept me stumped right until the end, and my heart was beating faster, as I was hoping Addie would solve it before she got hurt! It was definitely a thrill a minute.

Obviously I love mysteries. I started my love of mysteries with Miss Marple, but I also love Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock has been a huge part of pop culture, with so many new adaptions, and I liked learning more about his origins. The mystery partly focuses on his first adventure, A Study in Scarlet, and it was a fascinating study.

Proof of Murder is the fourth book in the series, but I feel like I have been reading this series for years. I love how all the characters have grown and developed - not just Addie's love life, but her relationship with fellow business owner, Martha, who is now a lot more friendlier with Addie. The pacing on both the mystery and sub-plots is just stellar, and its part of what I love about the series.

I cannot recommend the Beyond the Page Bookstore Mysteries enough. If you're a fan of vintage mysteries you will love the feel of vintage within modern with Proof of Murder. Add this series to your summer reading pile... you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment