Thursday, April 25, 2019

Book Review: Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs

Suzanne, Toni, and Petra lose their husbands but find independence when they open the Cackleberry Club. Then their cozy cafe becomes the scene of a crime when a lawyer dies with a secret on his lips and egg on his face. What this all has to do with a religious cult and Suzanne's past could put her own life on the line.[summary via Goodreads]

Eggs in Purgatory is the first book in the Cackleberry Club Mysteries, and features a trio of friends, that find a renewed sense of life in their new business, Cackleberry Club. Life is going swimmingly for the three friends at their business, the Cackleberry Club, which is part cafe, part knitting shop, part bookshop. Life in Kindred takes a turn for the worse when the local lawyer, Bobby Waite, is found killed outside their Cafe. Suzanne sets to work, trying to find a killer, and at the same time clearing her deceased husband's name, when he is implicated in a scandal.

I picked up Eggs in Purgatory on the recommendation of a knitting friend, who described the Cackleberry Club as "my perfect place to spend hours on end". Her description very much fitted the Cackleberry Club, being part bookstore/cafe/yarn shop, this is my idea of a perfect place as well! Add in the element of afternoon tea, complete with fancy tea and scones, and you have my idea of heaven!

Along with a perfect setting, the mystery itself was pretty perfect too. With a dead body discovered early in the book, I was thrust headlong into a complex mystery, and it was fun trying to solve it alongside Suzanne. The mystery kept me guessing right until the end, as I had to keep re-evaluating my guesses, as each suspect got cleared. It definitely was a great twister of a mystery.

Suzanne's partners in crime (and business), Toni and Petra, are absolutely amusing and kept me in giggles the entire book. I especially loved when they kicked out a over-zealous cult leader, that came to threaten them. They are my spirit warriors!!

Eggs in Purgatory was a delight, and I definitely plan on continuing on with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment