Monday, April 29, 2019

Book Review: No Farm, No Foul by Peg Cochran

On her blog, The Farmer’s Daughter, Shelby McDonald is growing her audience as she posts recipes, gardening tips, and her experiences raising two kids and running Love Blossom Farm in the small western Michigan town of Lovett.

Working the farm is demanding but peaceful—until that peace is shattered when the minister’s wife is murdered on Shelby’s property during a fund-raiser for a local church. But the manure really hits the fan when Shelby’s good friend veterinarian Kelly Thacker emerges as the prime suspect. Shelby decides to dig in and find the murderer by herself. As more suspects crop up, she’ll have to move fast—before someone else buys the farm. . . .[summary via Amazon]

No Farm, No Foul is the first book in the Farmer's Daughter Mysteries and features Shelby McDonald, farmer and blogger. During the pot luck barbecue, Shelby's life takes a turn to the dangerous when she discovers the minister's wife murdered. As she sets about trying to find clues, she discovers not everyone in Lovett is as they seem.

I wasn't expecting to like No Farm, No Foul as much as I did. It wasn't because of the author. I absolutely loved Peg Cochran's Gourmet DeLite mysteries. It is for the simple reason that I'm not usually a fan of farm girl settings. Having had my full of the All Creatures Great and Small as a child, I've been enjoying books with a more urban setting lately. However, that's the great thing about cozy mysteries... a great mystery, enticing characters and I'm hooked. Just as I was with this one!

I quickly got caught up in the mystery surrounding the small town of Lovett, where everyone isn't as they seem. Lovett is full of small town gossip, and murder aside, it seems like there is always something happening!!

I liked the mystery, but I especially liked the characters. Shelby is widowed, a single mom of 2 kids, and a blogger. Apart from the widow part I can completely relate. Especially trying to balance the kids and a full-time business. 

No Farm, No Foul was a great start to this series and I can't wait to read the next book. The romantic angle really drew me in and I can't wait to find out how Shelby's life unfolds in that department! And, of course, what kind of mystery she gets herself in the middle of!

No comments:

Post a Comment