Friday, July 7, 2023

Audiobook Review: Down the Hatch by M.C. Beaton

Down the Hatch is the 32nd book in the Agatha Raisin mysteries... and wow! I've been with this series since the first book, The Quiche of Death. I often joke that Agatha is my "spirit sleuth". She is feisty, determined and will not quit! This makes her adventures very interesting!

Agatha is called in to investigate the death of an Admiral, when she stumbles upon his body. What follows is a fantastic adventure of mayhem and murder, as Agatha realizes just how many people wanted the Admiral dead!

Agatha never disappoints. She's always hopping from one case to another, and her stories are never boring. In this one she follows the trail of the dead Admiral, rescues a Quokka family, uncovers the paternity of a Lord, and is hunted down by a drug lord! All in one adventure! As I said, never boring! This is probably why the Agatha Raisin mysteries is one of my most favourite series! Set in the backdrop of the picturesque Cotwolds, I always know I'm going to enjoy the next few hours as I follow her adventures.

This adventure was particularly interesting. Alongside Agatha and her team, I tried to solve the mystery before she did. While I did pick up some of the clues, the final denouement was definitely a shock!

I listened to this one on audiobook, as I have for almost every story. Penelope Keith IS the voice of Agatha Raisin. I'm so happy she's narrating them again. If you've ever seen her show "Hidden Villages" you know she is right at home in the Cotwolds, and this comes across so clearly in her narration. If you've hesitated on this series I recommend picking up The Quiche of Death with Penelope's narration. It is absolute first class and makes a fantastic story even better.

It has been a while since I listened to an Agatha story [I'm still a few books behind!], and Down the Hatch reminded me why this series is such a firm favourite. Story aside, I loved the introduction which has an introduction by M.C. Beaton herself. Fans of the series will know she has now passed away, and it was very much a blast from the past to hear how this series and the Hamish Macbeth series began.

If you haven't started this series yet, you need to now! It's a first class cosy crime!

No comments:

Post a Comment