Sunday, July 10, 2016

Book Review: Caught Read-Handed by Terrie Farley Moran

Happy to help her fellow bibliophiles, Sassy visits the local library with book donations for their annual fundraising sale. Unfortunately, the welcoming readers’ haven is in turmoil as an argument erupts between an ornery patron and new staff member, Tanya Lipscombe—also known as “Tanya Trouble.” She may lack people skills, but everyone is shocked when she’s later found murdered in her own hot tub. 

The man last seen arguing with Tanya is soon arrested. But Alan Mersky, a veteran with PTSD, happens to be the brother of Sassy’s former boss—and he’s no murderer. Now it’s up to Sassy and Bridgy to clear Alan’s name and make sure the real killer gets booked.[summary via Amazon]

I was so happy to make another visit to Fort Meyers Beach, so soon after my last visit. I enjoyed the first book this series, Well Read, Then Dead so much that I was eager for a follow up story. Luckily, as I am late to the game with this series, there is a couple of books for me to catch up on!

In Caught Read-Handed Sassy and Bridgy are back for my sleuthing and hijinks, as they try to unravel the death of Tanya Lipscombe, a trophy wife who seems to have made more than a few enemies. Of course, after her last near-death experience Sassy doesn't want to get into trouble with the policy, especially Lieutenant Frank Anthony, but when her ex-boss' brother is implicated in the crime, she can't stop herself from stepping in to help.

When I read that the prime suspect in this story had PTSD I wondered how this story would play out. This is a sensitive issue, and if not handled the right way it would be a disaster of a story line. Well I'm happy to say that Terrie Farley Moran handled this aspect of the storyline perfectly. She clearly has researched the issues with PTSD and I enjoyed learning more about PTSD and what the citizens of Fort Meyers Beach have done to not only welcome vets returning with PTSD but also make their life easier, and give them a sense of their own community within the community. I also liked how the veterans were able to assist the community with another problem, given their history of their tours in Vietnam and Iraq. This is such a sensitive issue but it is handled perfectly by the author and it added a great layer to the story. 

I really enjoyed the mystery aspect. I was 40 pages from the end and I was still stumped as to who the killer could be. I knew it wasn't Alan, but there were a lot of suspects and I still hadn't guessed who had done it.

Fort Meyers Beach is fast becoming one of my favorite cozy towns to visit. I love the cozy atmosphere in the Read 'Em and Eat Cafe, with the scrumptious food that Chef Miguel cooks up and the fantastic bookish chatter from the bookclubs. I also love the interesting characters that come and go, that reside in Fort Meyers Beach, and also new visitors.

With a fantastic cozy setting, Terrie Moran Farley has created more than a mystery. She's created a fabulous reading experience, with a mystery that will stump the most seasoned reader and a fantastic cast of characters that will have you wanting to come back for seconds and thirds!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this terrific review. I am delighted that you enjoyed Caught Read-Handed. How nice of you to tell the world.

    ReplyDelete