Sunday, July 3, 2016

Book Review: The Icing on the Corpse by Liz Mugavero

Kristan "Stan" Connor is thrilled to be invited to the Groundhog Day festivities in quirky Frog Ledge, Connecticut. Her organic, home-baked pet treats are a big hit at the annual celebration, though an important guest is curiously absent . . . 

When Helga Oliver, the town's elderly historian, is found crumpled in the basement of the Historical Museum, the close-knit town is devastated. But after some tenacious digging, Stan discovers Helga was pushed down the stairs--and that this picture-perfect New England town may hide some dark secrets . . . 

Stan's dogged determination reveals Helga's ties to an unsolved death in 1948 . . . but how does that connect to Adrian Fox, who's just arrived in town to shoot an episode of Celebrity Ghost Hunters? Stan is going to have to be very careful in chasing down the killer--if she wants to live to see another winter . . .[summary via Amazon]

In The Icing on the Corpse, Liz Mugavero thrills readers as she entwines a cold case murder, with a modern day murder, while also providing the smiles and laughter that only a doggy wedding in Frog Ledge can provide!

I love the Pawsitively Organic Mysteries because they are unique. In a world of culinary cozy mysteries they stand out as Kristan "Stan" makes and sells homemade dog and cat food and treats. The furry friends of Frog Ledge absolutely love her food, and its because of her famous cat and dog treats, that she is asked to hold a doggy wedding ceremony!!

Doggy weddings aside, I loved the mystery in The Icing on the Corpse. I was on the edge of my seat as I tried to unravel how the murder of a boxer decades before could be linked to a modern day crime. While I consider myself quite good at trying to decipher clues in cozy mysteries, I was absolutely clueless in this one! Liz Mugavero had me completely stumped and it was only when it finally unfolded, did I discover the murderer! For readers, like me, that like to try to solve the murder along with the sleuth, The Icing on the Corpse provides a great challenge, and one that I enjoyed immensely.

I like the cast of characters that are assembled in Frog Ledge, and every visit feels like a visit home. If you enjoy cozy mysteries with the picturesque setting, lots of furry animals to provide a few laughs on the way and a town of interesting characters that you will want to visit again and again, then the Pawsitively Organic Mysteries are for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment