Monday, July 18, 2016

Book Review: Gone with the Witch by Heather Blake

Darcy and her dog Missy are determined to put their best foot forward at the Enchanted Village’s annual Pawsitively Enchanted pet contest. She’s happy to lend a hand when the show’s organizer hires Darcy to keep an eye on things among growing suspicions that someone is sabotaging the event. But Darcy’s quest for justice is thrown off the scent when her lead suspect is found dead at the competition.

As if a murder weren’t bad enough, someone begins snatching up prize-winning pets right from under their owners’ noses. Darcy is determined to protect the pampered participants at whatever cost. But she’ll have to work fast to sniff out the thief before she becomes the next victim of a killer determined to stop her dead in her tracks...[summary via Goodreads]

I cannot hide my absolute love for the Wishcraft Mysteries by Heather Blake. I've been a fan of Heather Webber Blake's books since I discovered the Lucy Valentine Mysteries many years ago, and have been hooked on the Wishcraft Mysteries since the beginning. 

In the latest mystery, Darcy, Wishcrafter and owner of As You Wish, where wishes are magically granted, becomes involved in a local pet contest, when the organizer is worried someone is sabotaging the event. Things quickly turn to murder when one of the competitors turn up dead. Darcy must untangle the mystery, alongside the mysterious pet snatching.

I love this series! My favorite thing about it is that it's not just centered on the murder mystery. There have been underlying storylines that have run through each book, and it's those storylines that make me come back for more. Darcy's relationship with police officer, Nick, and the obstacles they've overcome, and the identity of the Elder are two of my favorites. While I'm good at solving murders, I have never been able to fully guess the identity of the Elder and I was so happy to see that Heather Blake finally reveals her identity in Gone with the Witch. The scene where Darcy discovers the identity of the Elder was so beautiful and heart-warming and I just loved it.

The mystery itself was intriguing, and I liked that it is doubled up with a pet-snatching mystery. I wasn't sure if the two were related or not, and it was interesting watching it unravel.

I cannot say enough good things about this series. In the Wishcraft Mysteries Heather Blake has crafted unique, intelligent, and magical mysteries. There is something for everyone in this series, and alike to decadent chocolate you can't just have one! I recommend reading this series in order, as each book builds on the previous and you won't be disappointed with a single one.

No comments:

Post a Comment