Monday, June 15, 2020

Book Review: Death by Eggnog by Alex Erickson

Krissy Hancock is staying in her adopted hometown of Pine Hills, Ohio, for Christmas this year—and she even has a whole week off from her combination bookstore-café. But a killer is about to dampen her spirits . . .
Unfortunately, Krissy’s been roped into filling in for a sick elf in the local holiday musical extravaganza. With a demanding director, backstage gossip, and two men in fierce competition for the starring role, it isn’t all sweetness and Christmas lights. Then a murder puts a stop to the production, and Krissy is faced with a pageant of suspects.
Could her ex-boyfriend, a fellow elf, really be the culprit as the police are claiming? Or will the actor playing Santa be trading his red suit for an orange jumpsuit? When her behind-the-scenes investigation starts getting dangerous, the only thing Krissy really wants is to make it to Christmas dinner alive. But first she’ll have to finish wrapping up this case . . .[summary via Amazon]

This year, I've become really hooked on the Bookstore Cafe Mysteries by Alex Erickson. I've been reading them in quick succession and have been looking forward to every new adventure with Krissy, her mischievous cat, Misfit, and her bookstore, Death by Coffee.

In Death by Eggnog it is the Christmas season and Krissy is staying in Pine Hills, while her father goes on a holiday with his new girlfriend. Krissy gets roped into taking part in a Christmas play, and murder and mayhem ensue when her ex-boyfriend is fingered for the murder of Mr Claus. 

I love how Krissy throws herself into everything she does, including murder investigations!!! This time it is Mr Claus that is found dead, and she's doing everything she can to save Christmas!! It was fun watching her try to be part of a musical and solve a crime!

The crime itself was interesting. Mr Claus aka Chuck is a very unlikable person, and it seems Krissy has her pick of suspects to go through. The suspects are related to the play, and there is a lot of drama as Krissy digs through trying to find the killer. The mystery kept me on the edge of my seat, as I was trying to figure out who the killer was, and I didn't manage to before Krissy.

Okay so let's chat Krissy... and her love life. As most readers of my blog know, I love the relationship elements. Krissy is with Will, the doctor. He's cute, sexy and... not right for her! (in my opinion) She has a past with Detective Paul, and I'm hoping things work out between them! Yes I'm #TeamPaul. I absolutely can't wait for the next book (already bought and on my nightstand, waiting to start) and to see how her life unfolds.

If you haven't already check out the Bookstore Cafe mysteries. You won't be disappointed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment