Friday, June 26, 2020

Book Review: Verse and Vengeance by Amanda Flower

A bicycle race is not Charming Books proprietor Violet Waverly's idea of a pleasant pastime. But police chief David Rainwater wheelie wants them to enter the Tour de Cascade as a couple, so she reluctantly consents.
The Tour de Cascade is the brainchild of Violet's Grandma Daisy. The race is a fundraiser to build the Cascade Springs Underground Railroad Museum. But not everyone in this Niagara Region village supports the race. As if the bike race weren't tiring enough, pesky private investigator Joel Redding is snooping around Charming Books. It takes all of Violet's and Grandma Daisy's ingenuity to keep Redding from discovering the shop's magical essence--which communicates with Violet through books.
When Redding perishes in an accident during the race, David discovers that the brake line of the private eye's bike was cut. Worse, Violet tops his list of suspects. As Emerson the tuxedo cat and resident crow Faulkner look on, Charming Books steers Violet to the works of Walt Whitman to solve the crime. But no other names ring a bell as culprits, and as David's investigation picks up speed, Violet will have to get in gear to clear her name.[summary via Amazon]

Cascade Springs and the Waverly women have completely stolen my cozy mystery-loving heart! This is the fourth book in the Magical Bookshop mysteries, and I've read all four this year! I absolutely cannot get enough of this series!!!

Violet Waverly, with the help of her boyfriend, Chief Rainwater, is entering a bicycle race. While it's not Violet's idea of fun, she's happy to give it a go to make Rainwater happy. However, a dampener falls on the day when a rider ends up dead. The rider is none other than PI Redding, who has been chasing Violet, determined to uncover her secret and tell the world. Together with her Grandma Daisy, the Waverly women are on the case and ready to solve a new mystery!

I loved this mystery. It follows the life of Walt Whitman, who I didn't know a lot about. I grew up in Australia, so American poets weren't really on my radar. Through the clues that the magical tree gives Violet, I learnt a lot about Whitman, and it was all very fascinating! I love books within books, and readers of past reviews will know I really love that aspect of this series. I love learning more about books and authors I know little about.

Early on I took a stab in the dark and guessed the murderer by chance, but the reasoning behind it alluded me. It was interesting watching the story unravel, and the final denouement was exciting.

Beyond the mystery I love all the little "side plots" involving Violet and her friends. It is so wonderful to see the people of Cascade Springs progress with their relationships and lives, and I always enjoy "catching up with them". Of course my favourite is Violet and Chief Rainwater, who take leaps and bounds in their relationship. My heart was absolutely singing through many moments of this book, thanks to Violet and Rainwater and their budding romance.

I simply can't recommend this series enough. It is magical, but not overly supernatural. It is fun and light, but heart warming and delivers a fantastic mystery. If you haven't picked it up yet, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment