Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Book Review: The Ghost and the Dead Deb by Alice Kimberly

The only rule bookshop owner and widow Penelope Thornton-McClure has given ghostly hard boiled P.I. Jack Shepard is to not haunt the customers. But when hot, young author Angel Stark arrives at the store to promote her latest, a true crime novel, Jack can hardly contain himself. After all, this is his specialty!
Angel’s book is an unsolved mystery about a debutante found strangled to death. And it’s filled with juicy details that point a finger at a number of people in the deb’s high society circle. But when the author winds up dead too—in precisely the same way—Pen is fast on the case...which means Jack is too. After all, a ghost detective never rests in peace.[summary via Amazon]

It has been some years since I've read The Ghost and Mrs McClure, the first book in the Haunted Bookshop Mysteries. Mainly because of the sheer number of cozy mysteries on my shelf, not because I didn't enjoy the first book... because I did! A reader on Instagram brought this series to my attention again, and I decided to dive back in. I'm so glad I did!!

The second adventure sees Penelope Thornton-McClure hosting a book reading for a very controversial book, involving the death of a socialite. During the reading, mayhem ensues as several people threaten the author, Angel Stark! When Angel turns up dead, Penelope fears that the murderer of the socialite has struck again. With the help of her "ghostly PI" Jack Shepard, they try to solve the crime before there is another death.

I really like the elements that make up the Haunted Bookshop Mysteries. As regular readers will know "bookshops/libraries" are my favourite setting for cozy mysteries. I love books within books. With this series there is also the added element of the supernatural with PI Jack Shepard. Jack plays a bit of a mentor role to Pen, helping her solve the crime. It is starting to look like Jack might also play another role... this aspect is super interesting and I can't wait to see how it unravels in future books.

The mystery is a little edgier then other cozy mysteries that I have read recently. Not enough to be suspense, but it did keep me on the edge of my seat. The mystery involves the upper class and it was interesting to see what they would do to keep their secrets buried.

The Ghost and the Dead Deb was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I will definitely be picking up the next book to see what is in store for Pen and Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment