Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Book Review: Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson

On their very first day of business, Brendon Lawyer huffily takes his coffee…to the grave. It seems he had a severe allergy to peanuts…but how could there have been nuts in his coffee? And who stole his emergency allergy medication?
Fortunately, Krissy’s love of puzzles and mysteries leads her not only to Officer Paul Dalton, but also to many of her new neighbors, who aren’t terribly upset that the book is closed on Brendon. But one of them is a killer, and Krissy needs to read between the lies if she wants to save her new store—and live to see how this story ends…[summary via Amazon]

I'm a huge fan of books within books, and cozy mysteries set in bookstores and libraries are my absolute favorite!! I've been eyeing up the Bookstore Cafe mysteries for a while, and I recently took the plunge with Death by Coffee! Let me say... I can't believe what I've been missing out on. If this first book is any indicator... this is my new favorite series!

Krissy has moved to Pine Hills to open a bookstore cafe, with her best friend, Vicki, called Death by Coffee. Bookstore and a cafe... that's a recipe for a quiet life right? Not for Krissy, when a customer dies on her first day... after drinking one of her coffees. It's up to Krissy to stick her nose where it doesn't belong and find a killer, before they have to close the bookstore cafe!

What I absolutely love about Krissy... is that she completely owns her desire to stick her nose where it doesn't belong. She acknowledges that she's just being nosy and really shouldn't be getting involved, but she does!! She's an amateur sleuth to look up to. While some others are hesitant about getting involved, she doesn't waiver. She steps right up to the plate and is determined to find a killer! And, she does just that in her first adventure.

If that's not enough, there is also her cat... "Misfit". Misfit is part of a pair of cats, his sibling is owned by Vicki, whose name is "Trouble". Misfit may be my new favorite cozy feline. He's incredibly naughty and I loved reading about his little adventures, causing trouble for Krissy at every turn. Don't worry Trouble also lives up to its name as well. Let's just say "domino bookshelves"!

I simply adored Death by Coffee. The main mystery was interesting and kept me enthralled. I also like that we just learn a little bit about other residents of Pine Hills, but not too much. Just enough to know that I'm going to be coming back for the next book to find out about everyone else. Krissy's father is a best-selling mystery author, and I'm looking forward to seeing how his involvement plays out in future stories.

If you're crazy for biblio mysteries I strongly recommend reading the Bookstore Cafe mysteries. Luckily for me, there are currently 7 books in the series and I plan to read them all as quickly as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment