Saturday, March 7, 2020

Book Review: Murder Ink by Lorraine Bartlett

A tattoo parlor on Victoria Square? Some of the merchants get hot under the collar at the proposal, but could they be driven to kill to stop it? That's what the sheriff's office and Katie Bonner want to know when the building's owner is electrocuted with his own saw.
Meanwhile, tensions rise when a hot chef takes over the square's tea shop. Will Katie have three men vying for her affections, or will her rival take the tea cake? [summary via Amazon]

There are several authors that I read everything they write. When they release a new book, I don't even read the summary on the back, I just dive straight in!! One of these authors is Lorraine Bartlett. When I started reading cozies I was simply charmed by her Booktown Mysteries (written as Lorna Barrett). I hold her Victoria Square Mysteries in such high regard as well, and they're one series I always make sure I pick up the latest release for. 

Victoria Square is a fictional town, where all is quaint and sweet. Visitors can walk down the Main Street and be charmed by the cozy shops. They can visit Tealicious for afternoon tea, and shop at Artisians Alley. It's not somewhere that you can imagine a tattoo shop right? That's exactly what the local merchants association think when a local tattooist buys a building and wants to open a shop in Victoria Square. When the owner of the tattoo parlour is electrocuted all eyes turn to the merchants of Victoria Square. 

I love the feeling that reading a Victoria Square Mystery provides. It is literally all things quaint and cozy. I mean look at the cover with all those cute shops. Apart from the murders, wouldn't you want to visit there? This is why this series is one of my most-recommended to new readers of cozy mysteries. Lorraine Bartlett (this time together with Gayle Leeson) capture that feeling of visiting a cozy town, where a murder just happens to take place. The reader is taken on an adventure, alongside Katie Bonner, as they try to solve the crime. All the elements rolled into one perfect story... this is what Lorraine Bartlett delivers every time!!

I liked the mystery surrounding the murder of the tattoo shop owner. I thought I had it solved by page 84, but I should've learnt from previous mysteries, because I was completely wrong! I only managed to solve it moments before Katie did. I love how the authors take us several winding paths to solve the mystery! They definitely leave a tangled web for the readers to follow!

All in all, Murder Ink provides another delightful visit to Victoria Square. Alike to me, I believe readers will come for the murder mystery, but stay for the charming people and atmosphere of Victoria Square. It is one cozy town that I can't wait to visit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment