Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Book Review: Last Pen Standing by Vivian Conroy

As the new co-owner of Tundish Montana's stationery shop WANTED, Delta Douglas knows how to organize a killer crafting event. Creativity and cardstock are all she needs to move one step closer to her ultimate dream: developing her own line of crafting products. But on the night of the workshop, at the swanky hotel venue, glitter isn't the only thing found sprawled on the floor. A hotel guest is discovered dead in the bar, and amid the confusion, Delta's best friend is suspected of the crime.
Enlisting the help of her Paper Posse and Spud, her canine sidekick, Delta dives into the investigation. But with many high-powered suspects on the line, Delta soon realizes her sleuthing may come with deadly consequences.[summary via Amazon]

I love new series! I love discovering new cozy towns and adventures. I especially love meeting new cozy characters and pets!
In the first Stationary Shop Mystery, I got to visit Tundish, Montana, and meet Wanted stationary shop owners, Hazel and Delta, and went on one fantastic adventure!

Delta is new to Tundish, Montana. She's decided to invest in the business of her best friend, Hazel, and she's excited to be a co-owner of the stationary shop, Wanted. However, she gets more than she bargained for when, at her first workshop, a hotel guest turns up dead. With Hazel's brother picked for the crime, Delta must join forces with her new friends, the "Paper Posse", to solve the crime.

I was a child in the 80s. Before technology made it big, I loved writing letters to my friends. It's one of my favourite memories of the 80s. Carefully picking from my stationary collection, and penning a beautiful letter. This has grown into journalling and a washi tape addiction in the modern day, and its this love all things paper that made me pick up this new series. I'm so glad I did, because straight out of the gate Last Pen Standing is an outstanding debut!

I loved that the town centres around its history of being a gold rush town. They've kept so much of the history. Wanted even still has holding cells! Delta's new friends the "Paper Posse" even have nicknames relating to the gold rush era. It is just so much fun!!

The mystery itself was really intriguing. I really enjoyed discovering facts about the residents of Tundish, alongside Delta, and trying to piece all the clues together. I didn't solve the mystery before Delta, and it wasn't for lack of trying. Vivian Conroy has crafted a intriguing whodunnit, that even the most seasoned mystery reader will have trouble solving!

From beginning to end Last Pen Standing is a pure delight! It kept me up late, way past my bedtime, but I have zero regrets because it is worth every extra cup of caffeine! This is a great debut, and one you will want to read in one sitting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment