Saturday, March 14, 2020

Book Review: Death by Tea by Alex Erickson

Just before two dueling book clubs are set to square off at Death by Coffee, one of the competitors turns up dead—bludgeoned with the silver teapot that was to serve as the prize. Suspicion immediately falls on Krissy, who was seen skulking around town in dark clothes on the night of the murder.
To clear her name and find the real killer, Krissy turns to an old flame, Officer Paul Dalton. But even Paul can’t ignore the trail of evidence that seems to point in her direction. And with Krissy’s personal nemesis, Officer John Buchannan, working overtime to pin the murder on her, it will take an amazing feat of detective work to close the book for good on an elusive killer. . .[summary via Amazon]

I love books about books! Cozies set within a library or bookstore setting are my absolute favourite. I've read most of the series that feature a bookstore or library, and I'm so thrilled to have discovered another series that fits into this sub-category. Even better, there is a back-list for me to read!!! I was absolutely head over heels for Death by Coffee. So much so, that I picked up Death by Tea recently and couldn't put it down. 

In the second Bookstore Cafe Mystery, Krissy is hosting the annual book club competition. Whoever heard of a book club being a competition right? Well the competition between Pine Hills and Cherry Valley is very fierce, especially when the prize is a silver teapot. When one of the competitors turns up dead in her bookshop, Officer Buchanan is determined to pin the crime on Krissy. Can she find a killer before she ends up behind bars?

I love, love this series! It's not just that Pine Hills is oh so cozy, or that the mystery is so tangled, that I even have trouble solving it. It is both of those things, but it is also the fact that Krissy's life is such a hot mess!!! I love reading each adventure, watching as Krissy tries to solve the murder, stay out of jail and maybe try and get a date. Then there is Misift, her cat,.... who is determined to make her life a living hell! I just love the chaos!

I really liked the mystery. The murder victim is a visitor to Pine Hills, and as the reader learns more, we discover how hard it is to untangle the webs of the mystery. I didn't solve the crime before Krissy, despite guessing and changing my mind, every time one of "my suspects" was cleared. 

Death by Tea is a superb follow-up mystery to Death by Coffee. I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to read the next one. I'm looking forward to another visit to see what all the crazy characters in Pine Hills are going to get up to next. And, of course to see if Krissy will finally get a date!

No comments:

Post a Comment