Sunday, November 6, 2022

Book Review: A Book Club to Die For by Dorothy St James

The Cypress Arete Society is one of the town’s oldest and most exclusive clubs. When assistant librarian Trudell Becket is invited to speak to the group about the library, its modernization, and her efforts to bring printed books to the reading public, her friend Flossie invites herself along. Flossie has been on the book club’s waiting list for five years, and she’s determined to find out why she’s never received an invitation to join. 
But not long after Tru and Flossie arrive for the meeting, they’re shocked to find the club’s president, Rebecca White, dead in the kitchen. Rebecca was a former TV actress and local celebrity, but was not known for being patient or pleasant. She’d been particularly unkind to the book club’s host for the evening, who also happens to be the mother of Detective Jace Bailey, Tru’s boyfriend. And Rebecca had made it clear that she didn’t think Flossie was book club material.
With her boyfriend and one of her best friends wrapped up in a murder, Tru has to work fast to figure out who cut Rebecca’s story short before the killer takes another victim out of circulation....[summary via Amazon]

We're back in Cypress with another fantastic mystery with Tru, Dewey and her friends. This time Tru gets involved in the death of a former actress, when she turns up to present a talk at the Arete Society, one of the most prestigious book clubs in the state. When her boyfriend's mom, Hazel, is fingered for the crime, Tru knows she is going to have to put her best detection skills to the test to solve this case!

I've been smitten with this series since I read the first book, The Broken Spine. Dorothy St James combines my love of books with a tantalizing mystery, and once I start one I can't put it down!

A Book Club to Die For provides a wonderful mystery for readers to solve. The author lays clues around town for the reader to pick up, and I managed to solve it just before Tru does. However, I had no clue on a couple of side storylines that also got their final clues! Oh how I wish I could share them here, but let's just say that the main and side storylines provide so many magical moments, and you don't want to miss this series - not for a single second!

This series has skyrocketed to one of my favourite new reads of 2022! Personally my year has been quite tumultuous and this series has provided me with peace and comfort, as so many mysteries have this year. If you're looking to get lost in a book, I highly recommend this series. I'm sure it will become your favourite too!

No comments:

Post a Comment