Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Book Review: Read It and Weep by Jenn McKinlay

In her fourth Library Lover’s Mystery, Jenn McKinlay tantalizes readers with books, mysteries and Shakespeare! The town is putting on A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Violet La Rue has enlisted popular actor and close friend, Robbie Vine, to play the cheeky Puck! With a wife and girlfriend in tow, Robbie certainly seems to have his hands full, but this doesn’t stop him from flirting with Lindsay, our favourite town librarian. With her relationship with Sully on hold (at Sully’s request) Lindsey takes a shine to Robbie and is devastated by Robbie’s death and puts her sleuthing skills to work to find a killer!

When I first started this series I was not expecting to like it as much as Jenn McKinlay’s other series. How can she top cupcake mysteries and bargain shopping mysteries (two of my favourite activities), but she’s taken my love of books and cozy towns and has made me a huge fan of this series too! Four books in and I’m thoroughly addicted and like a good cozy mystery addict, I was ready to scoop up her latest offering!

Read It and Weep is immersed within books, from Lindsey’s job as town librarian, to her involvement behind stage on the set of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and her crafternoon group, who is reading Pride and Prejudice. For a book lover like me, I can’t get enough of books within books and Jenn McKinlay’s certainly satisfied my inner booknerd with Read It and Weep.

Over all of her series, Jenn McKinlay doesn’t just create a murder mystery, she creates a reading experience. Every time I visit Briar Creek I feel like I’m shadowing Lindsey, eating with her at the Blue Anchor, taking her adorable pup, Heathcliff, for a walk and getting to know all the patrons of the library. There is so much life between the pages of each story and I can’t wait to take another visit when On Borrowed Time is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment