Monday, May 12, 2014

Book Review: The Goodbye Witch by Heather Blake

It’s time to take a visit to the Enchanted Village. In the Enchanted Village you can wander the cute, quaint stores, like Lotions & Potions and As You Wish, but can you guess who the witches are and who are mortals? Witch Darcy Merriweather lives in the Enchanted Village, with her sister Harper and Aunt Ve. She’s a wishcrafter, which means she has the power to grant wishes, and loves working side-by-side with her Aunt Ve at As You Wish. She’s dating police officer, Nick, and her life is pretty perfect right now. When her best friend, Starla, bursts into As You Wish claiming her ex-husband, the same one that tried to strangle her and ran away as a fugitive, is back in town, life is about to change. Starla’s life is turned upside down as Will tries to contact her. When Will turns up dead, all evidence points to Starla and it looks like Starla will end up spending life in prison. That is unless Darcy can find the killer!
Ever since I read It Takes a Witch (the first book in the series, check out my review here) I’ve fallen head over heels for Darcy Merriweather and all the witches and mortals in the Enchanted Village. I’ve been [im]patiently waiting for the next book in this series to be published and I knew that I would be reading The Goodbye Witch as soon as it hit the shelves!

In the first three books Heather Blake took my breath away with this magical town full of interesting people and even more fascinating familiars. So the bar was set pretty high for the fourth book in the series, and I have to say that she exceeded all expectations I had.

In The Goodbye Witch, Darcy and the readers learn more about the sweet town and inhabitants than we thought we knew. We learn about Starla’s past and more about the different crafters in the Enchanted Village. As usual Heather Blake provides a flawless plot as she weaves new elements into the village, mixing with the elements about the crafters that we already knew. Most cozies are not known for world building, but Heather Blake has shown she sure knows how to build a wonderful fictional world. She’s created a fictional village, alive with magic, that is as believable as any real cozy town.

I couldn’t put The Goodbye Witch down. Even when I had to reluctantly put it aside for real life errands [and sleep] I was constantly thinking about the characters and wanting to get back to the investigation with Darcy and Nick. This series has that effect on me. Even after the last page is turned I am still thinking about my next adventure in the Enchanted Village.

If you are looking for a new series to devour this summer I highly recommend picking up It Takes a Witch and starting on a adventure with Darcy Merriweather in the Enchanted Village. It will be one adventure you won’t forget in a hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment