Friday, May 30, 2014

Book Review: One Dog Too Many by Lia Farrell

Meet Mae December. Not only does she have a unique name, she lives in the happiest little spot, just outside Nashville. She's recovering from the loss of her fiance a year ago, but otherwise content and happy with her dog boarding business. Well that is if Elvis' owner will come pick up. Elvis is an over-medicated pomeranian and Mae is a little worried when his owner, Ruby, fails to pick him up on time. When she goes searching for Ruby, she discovers her dead body in the grove. Mae's curiosity gets the better of her and she starts to investigate the murder, much to the chagrin of the local Sheriff.

I've said it before and I will say it again... cozy mysteries are better with animals! Whether it be dogs or cats, my favourite cozy mystery series are those that feature animals. When I saw "One Dog Too Many" I knew that this one would be a favourite, because look at the cute (albeit over-medicated) pomeranian on the cover!

However, it wasn't just the dogs in this book that make it special, it is the wonderful characters that Lia Farrell has created, and how they are all an integral part in Mae and Sheriff Ben solving this mystery!

I instantly connected with Mae December, with her love of animals. She runs a boarding kennel and also has three dogs of her own, two of which she breeds - a Corgi and a Pug! Even though Elvis is high maintenance, she loves what she does, and her love of animals shines off each and every page of this mystery.

One Dog Too Many is a suspenseful mystery that was very engaging from start to end. I found the mystery fascinating, especially with Ruby's desire to stir everything up. There certainly was no end of suspects in this case!! However I also felt like I connected with so many characters in this quaint town. I especially loved Miss Dory, who is the office manager at the police station and a complete hoot! Sheriff Ben describes her as "Miss Dory, the Goddess of Information, the Queen of all Knowledge." She's an integral part of the investigation, and she was a delight to get to know.

Reading One Dog Too Many was like finding a diamond in a haystack. There are so many indie/small press mysteries popping up every week, and it can be hard to find which ones you want to start. I recommend adding One Dog Too Many to the list of books you should read. The Mae December mysteries have quickly zoomed close to the top of my favourite mysteries, and I'm eagerly looking forward to reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment